“We Are Family: When Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Financial Exploitation Hit Home” is a blog featuring a case study that was published in the American Society on Aging’s Generations publication and on their AgeBlog. We are summarizing this case on our blog because it provides yet another example of the complexity of elder abuse cases and highlights the critical need for a coordinated response. We thank Jeannie Jennings Beidler, the author of the blog, for her heroic efforts on behalf of her grandparents and for courageously sharing the details of this personal family story so that we all can learn from it and thus protect other elders from experiencing a similar fate. More →
Brooklyn-based Medical and Social Work Consult Services Available
Brooklyn-based Medical and Social Work Consultation Services
Professionals working with older adults might detect elder abuse but are often unsure of how to proceed in assessing and assisting the victims and their family members. NYCEAC’s expert can staff provide consultation to professionals on a range of case-related issues.
Medical Consultations: Veronica LoFaso, MD is available to provide case consultations on non-emergent medical concerns to professionals working on elder abuse and neglect cases occurring in Brooklyn. Examples of non-emergent medical concerns include questions pertaining to medications, memory disorders, diagnoses and/or injuries.
Please Note: This consult service is a resource for professionals to clarify medical questions that emerge when conducting assessments and interventions on complex elder abuse cases. This consultation is not focused on patient treatment. A patient needing medical assistance for injuries sustained or for any other reason should be seen by a health care provider. Refer medical emergencies to 911.
Dr. LoFaso, a physician with the New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College, Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology, is providing this service through the NYC Elder Abuse Center.
Social Work Consultations: Robin Roberts, LCSW is available to provide social work consultations to professionals working on elder abuse and neglect cases occurring in Brooklyn. This consult service is available to assist with questions relating to assessment of elder abuse and interventions with victims and their family members, safety planning and a wide range of resources available to victims.
Robin Roberts, LCSW, has provided services to elder abuse victims and their families for years through JASA LEAP. She is providing this service through her role as the NYC Elder Abuse Center’s Multidisciplinary Team Coordinator.
Medical and Social Work Case Consultation Eligibility Criteria
- Practitioners from any discipline can utilize the medical and/or social work consultation services.
- The elder abuse victim must be 60 and over AND reside in Brooklyn, or the case needs to have someone age 60 and over living in a dwelling located in Brooklyn.
- If the victim is under 60 OR there is nobody in the house 60 and over AND/OR the dwelling is not located in Brooklyn, the case will be considered for consultation at the discretion of the NYCEAC’s Multidisciplinary Team Coordinator (MDTC), Robin Roberts, LCSW.
Process for Obtaining a Medical Case Consultation
Utilize the following 3-step process to access a non-emergent medical-related case consultation:
- Speak to your supervisor to confirm the need for a medical-related consultation on an elder abuse or neglect case.
- Email your consultation request to Robin Roberts, LCSW at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include the following information: a) your name; b) your contact information; and c) the general medical issue(s) leading you to request a medical consultation.
- Robin will arrange an appointment for you to talk with Dr. LoFaso—either on the phone or in-person—on a Wednesday between 10:30-11:30 am. Consults on other dates/times can be arranged on a case-by-case basis only.
Process for Obtaining a Social Work Case Consultation
Utilize the following 2-step process to access a non-emergent social work-related case consultation:
- Speak to your supervisor to confirm the need for a social work case consultation on an elder abuse or neglect case.
- Contact Robin via email or telephone to schedule a time and date for the consult. Case consults will be scheduled upon availability.
If you have questions, please contact Robin Roberts, LCSW at 718-722-4839 or at email@example.com.